Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween or the bumps of the night life

Well another Halloween has come and gone and I live to tell the tale.
Making it quick because it never lasts this year we had 8 people but publicly I say 18 because I don't want to feel stupid for expecting anyone. I plan for 50 people each year with a selection of mini-posters, buttons, comicbooks, two cases of canned pop, chocolate & candy bars, and the first six treaters get a large bag of potatoe chips. I recycle last years posters and comics so the collection just grows. You would think with such a smorgasbord of delights i would run out but no if anything the nubers are dwindling and I think its a sad sight. My brother Paul had 47 people. My friend Fred Diana had 150 and ran out of treats. Rob Chin had over 100 but said he doesn't keep track. What is it about our neighbourhood where no one wants to visit? I mean we put out a couple of jack o'lanterns, spooky signs (the one on our door reads KNOCK LOUDLY IT's HARD To WAKE The Dead!), I dress up a little (this year I went with devil horns), and kept the noise down. Well at least I was able to relax afterwards to The Walking Dead on AMC-TV then the annual Night Of The Living Dead (or some similar zombie picture).
Meanwhile my own personal nightmare of the F Drive. It's gone AWOL on the computer again and now has taken all the photos and videos and sound files and all the CBRs and all the text documents and related stuff. That's my father's locksmith and scouting notes, my compilation of clix lists, comicbook notes, and music lists with humour, and Betty Page Of The Days. That's three years of digital photos chronicling all sorts of points in life including my brother or my father sleeping in public. Half way through uploading the collection of Peterborough is lost most likely forever my brother reckons. I mourn for it but have to move on after all the backing up this past summer why did I always save the most important and best for last? Well it shows procrastinators never prosper so why bother. ;)

My birthday this year my brother Mark got me a card and a DVD of The Losers. I loved the
Losers as a comicbook but was disappointed with how it ended and the film going for a PG rating didn't help but it was nice to see some of it come to life. Unfortunately it's the Blue Ray and the only Blue Ray player is in his room.
Well it's the thought that counts and he was thinking of me. my parents got me a card and that's it. Money is tight and I know Mum will order in Swiss Chalet for dinner this year because she never leaves the house.

My brother Paul hasn't responded yet but I dropped off a large section of the birthday cake (double chocolate with creme dulce (caramel) sauce filling and barvarian chocolate buttercream frosting) the very next day after my birthday. Almost my fave but the frosting was a little too heavy for me. Paul and Mare always leave it to the last moment but could they have forgotten this year? Well probably procrastinated. I scanned the Gift Certificate he gave me last year and placed it on my facebook page as a tribute to Rob's since Rob's was supposed to close permanently now but Rob is staying open on New Comic Wednesdays now to service his long time customers. Go figure maybe he will stay open more than a month at a time. Well happy all Saints Day everyone and speak to you all sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment