Thursday, September 9, 2010

Me and me vices real and psychological

Okay back after a long time and it's now September 9th, 2010 and the anniversary of the first Terry Fox Marathon and the anniversary of Elvis Presley making his first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. So since my last post I have been busy with carribana, visits to Montgomery's inn, various Farmer's Markets, seeing the summer stock play The Taming Of The Shrew, to having the police visit me for suspicious behavior at The Taming Of The Shrew, to seeing some summer films, to going to the annual Canadian G.I.Joe Convention (met Larry Hama Go Joes), to visiting JerkFest 2010, to seeing World Ukranian Day, to going to three and a half days of Fan Expo, some innukshuks in the Humber River near Etiene Brule Park, and my mother's birthday, my brother Paul's Birthday, and my parents 44th Wedding anniversary. So in spite of all appearances it's been a very busy summer.

So they have come and inspected the kitchen twice and just finished the upstairs bathroom over a week ago. There are no drawers in the bathroom and the mirror/medicine cabinet is half the size of the previous one. The shower curtain is half a foot lower and the tiling is slapped on that it will eventually buckle from the wall. Well it's awkward but the one good thing is they redid the ceiling so no more mold hanging down from peeling paint. One bad thing (of already several) is mum's bench is major source of water leakage so we have to mop the floor during and after with a bath towel. So what's next is they haqve someone coming in to fix all the window screens and then it's done. complete, finished, finito.

Oddly I find my self pondering a new TV Show called hoarders where they come in a clear out people's homes who cluster it up with too many things they can't let go or organize. The reason I ponder this is sometimes I think there is something wrong with me as I feel one step away from being a hoaqrder. Nothing gives perspective like cleaning up a house hold and shifting items around the home. You see I collect comicbooks, posters, pulp novels, buttons, keychains, cereal toys, HeroClix, HorrorClix, brochures and magazines and specialized catalogs. All this accunulates and has to be organized and stored. You see I noticed a decade ago that while I collect some things I don't always pay attention to them like a collector should. You ever read the book or see the film High Fidelity by Nick Hornby that starred John Cusack. Both great works but I digress so let me focus on the film version. In the film John Cusack portrays Rob who has just been dumped by his long time girlfriend Laura and decides to go and rank all his break-ups in life so far. Then Rob decides to revisit these break-ups and starts ranking other things in life. You see Rob was a DJ then moved on to running a new & used record store and when you deal with that sort of thing in life you are constantly ranking things and in this case it makes a great soundtrack. Collecting things will make people constantly rank things and list them and discuss them with like minded or even curious strangers. Like Top Five songs to spy by which would include Secret Agent Man by Johnny Rivers, Spies Like Us by Paul McCartney, You Only Live Twice by Nancy Sinatra, Wanted Dead Or Alive by John Bon Jovi, Live And Let Die by Axl Rose. Now that's off the top of my head not from the film but if you collect comicbooks you will accumulate as your collection grows hits and misses and you will have favourite titles and favourite stories and favourite characters and hated characters and hated stories and you will inevitable tie them to points in life. I bring this up because Rob's collections or music from life and DJ led him to open his failing business and with it failing along with his relationships he goes on this voyage to reorganize his personal record collection not by title or artist or chronologically even alphabetically but instead biographically. Now when you deal with thousands of titles like that it can turn a scene when you really think about that in September 1980 you can like Starting Over by John Lennon just months before he was assassinated at the same time as Queen's Flash Gordon and Dolly Parton's Nine To Five you were suffering the indigniti3es of grade six. To put this to a comicbook collector I know that I was at a Voyager Restaurant and service station at the end of August 1980 driving between Brockville and Toronto two months after my maternal grandmother's funeral when I picked up Avengers 201 and Uncanny X-men #137 the death of Phoenix. I can trace from that point to a year later Uncanny X-Men #151 and the start of the Brood Saga with showing off my collection in Mr Ashenhurst's Grade seven class and being asked to public speak before the class five months after that about Spider-Man and having my father scrimp so I could get some classic specials of Spidey to allow me to display to class. Biographical is not necessarily linear since it ties to your life experience and if nothing else can be very emotional. Forest Gump is a very linear story and is told chronologically but is also biographical and emotional. I like to think Stupid is as Stupid does and I would like t5o stop doing stupid by just accumulating things and get my life in order if I can just figure out how to do that.

So before I got so far off topic on the fact I feel like a hoarder for lack of practicing my organizational skills let's refresh with a list of the previous paragraph.
- shifting things to clean up during renovation of home.
- I collect things.
- I list things.
- i collect comicbooks, and assorted other items.
- I like Nick Hornby and High Fidelity and John Cussack.
- My grand mother's death and Grade seven and uncanny x-men.
- I don't want to be a hoarder.
- I think of myself as Forest Gump.
- I am still lazy.
- I need to change.
That's a top ten list of what I think my life has become. Isn't that sad?

With that my life has to move on at the moment and I will get back to this blog for the moment I feel tapped out so until next time stay free.

No comments:

Post a Comment