Monday, April 13, 2009

survived another weekend #2105

Well today is Easter Monday 13 April 2009 and I have survived another weekend.
Yesterday we had my brother Paul and his wife Mary-Anne over for the Easter dinner and they broke the Darkman rule again constantly astounding me. For those not versed in it in the film Darkman the skin could survive no more than 99 minutes of exposure to light before it bubbled up and disintegrated. When Paul and in-law would visit during the first five years you could count the time to 90 or so minutes and then they had to go. The Darkman Rule. Lately in the last year or so it has become 2 hours or more they stay like last night it was 2 hours and 22 minutes.
Yes I take note of these things. I blame the time control experiments from Mr Taylor's physics class in HighSchool and the Time efficiency homework in Mr. Pitt's MOPS class in college.
Little things like that are what make me see Rom-coms or Action films and start little countdowns to things happening because you know the studio insisted on a formula that they used a hundred times before so it must still work. It does work but it doesn't as people see it more often they sub-consciously see it and ruins the surprise for them. Like True Lies you can count tonine after Jamie Lee Curtis licks her finger for Arnold Schwartzeneggar to drop the tape machine. The problem is the scene is repeated in other rom-coms with smaller twists and if you have seen it before the surprise is lessened when you see it again by someone else. Like watching my other brother's REM when he was watching a simular scene in The Girl Next Door.
You want a better pay-off.
Maybe that's why Paul and Mary-Anne stay longer. They want a better pay-off in family visits.
...
Of course there are other factors as well.
...
I don't eat what they eat so the food could be a deterent. Yesterday it was Sweet Potatoes mashed up, boiled to steam Asparagas, and a whole bone-in shank of Ham roasted, with summer harvest pie for desert. We invited them for 6pm and they arrived at 6:51pm and dinner was served at 7:34pm since the veggies weren't turned on to cook untill they arrived.
I had sweet potatoe fries and sweet red onion rings at 5:50pm so I was way done before they even arrived. In fact I was walking to Blockbuster Video when they drove past me.
Anyways when conversation turns to books or TV things start to lag and we have a silent countdown till Paul gets the nudge and time to go home. You can almost count the seconds (well minutes) till they leave.
Oddly last night was the first time no one took any pictures. That could also be a factor.
We also had Paul downplay talk of Star Trek. That too could also be a factor.
Outside of that there were no euchre games or Trivial Pursuit or special DVD movie. Though Paul did borrow copies of Hellboy II, V The Series, Quantum Of Solace, and Incredible Hulk so it could be a prolonged experience at a later date. For those who didn't know V the Series has nothing to do with V For Vendetta.
Now I am not complaining abouth the weekend or my brothers or in-laws I am just stating a fact. I have survived another weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment