Thursday, May 7, 2009

About last night #14691

So here it is Thursday 7 May 2009 and the new Star Trek film comes out today. Like I care.

So last night I get ready to leave for the game and Dad is going to give me a lift to the subway station which is nice but I would say it was so he could grab some food at Wendy's afterward. Well just as I was about to leave we get a couple of calls. It's from Henry who isn't susposed to be working that night at the Loblaw. Seems some lady in a pick-up truck wanted to miss hitting the skids of fertilizer and instead banged into the cage of the garden center causing some damage. As a safety caution the employee at the scene was to be checked out at the hospital and surprise surprise surprise it's my baby brother Mark and after Mum I am the next number under the ICE list. ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. So while Dad calms Mum I shoot off an e-mail saying ain't making the game as a courtesy and a minute later I am in the Plymouth on to Mark. Now this is where it get's good. You see Henry (who usually only works weekends) and another Manager are freaking worried of lawsuits and Union claims and Workplace Accident ratios and lawsuits and Workman compensation Board hearings so even if everything is aokay he insists on getting the person checked out just to cover theirs and the company ass. Which part of me understands except Mark went from being a premmie to a six foot tall thug who once bent a steel hammer with his anger. The kid has the Riches endurance. So rushing to the hospital for a check-up everytime an incident happens in the company parking lot let alone on any company property is overkill. This isn't the first time I have had to rush down to Queensway Gen or Trillium Health to make sure Mark is okay only to find out it's a scrape or a bruise or nothing.
So in this incident the lady called Jen bangs into the cage and you think crash right? Nope seems she had tapped the gate to the garden center with the bumper of her pickup and the swing on a wheel (or castor) and hit some urns making a loud rattle on the cage and Mark was by the urns and caught the gate before it did damage. Henry who was outside on break waiting for the paycheck slip sees the incident and thinks Mark is hit by the fence gate by a hit and run. Jen the driver got out of the pickup saw everything was okay waved on by Mark and got back in and drove off after talking to Mark and the worried Henry. Henry then takes Mark aside and starts to call the ICE list which is where I came along. Two hours waiting for a doctor, half hour for an x-ray, ten minutes for the all clear and we find nothing was wrong. Mark is out 90 minutes pay and I buy him a Quiznos Turkey Bacon Torpedo, coke, and chips. Then I go back out and get a Chilli & Baked potatoe from Wendy's for Mum. Dad had a Bear Claw at the Timmies while we waited for the results. While I know it's better safe than sorry I can't help but think this is Loblaw crying wolf once too often.
I will say that the gate is a little warped but that could be general wear and tear or Mark or the Pickup. Mark is back at work this morning no worst for wear. Well Mum gave him an extra long hug before he left this morning so his neck maybe sore. A winky goes here but I dislike blogging smiley faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment